Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"Ryle's "ghost in the machine" of the brain still seems to exist. As Skinner wrote:
"The objection to inner states is not that they do not exist, but that they are not relevant in a functional analysis" Skinner 1953.
"

I believe we are machines. I believe there is no free will. So the above resonates well with me. But then what is the raison d'etre of this "ghost in the machine"? Putting this in the context of an example, what is the difference between me and a TV, besides the fact that I have more input and more output? I can change my state. Can I? Still it is deterministic, so why do I need the ghost? The TV can change its state, when eg it turns off automatically after some time. Of course I told it to do that, but is this important or am I part of its environment?

No comments: